ICB stands for the ‘Institute of Certified Bookkeepers’. Its primary objectives are to promote bookkeepers and enable them to gain recognition as an integral element of the financial system. The ICB controls this through qualifications and grades of membership which recognise the achievements of its members in academia, experience and individual competence.
There are many ICB courses which range from beginners through to expert levels. A trainee will normally start at the beginners’ level and take incrementally more challenging tests throughout their career, although it is not uncommon for students to start at a more intermediate level if they already have relevant experience. The ICB qualifications attained as a result are enormously beneficial in gaining employment as a bookkeeper. Employers of bookkeepers support and encourage the ICB training and bookkeeping courses as they normalise the skills in the industry, making employment decisions much easier and allowing them to track the skills of their employees.
Bookkeeping training is an important element of the ICB, but they are also involved in improving the personal skills of their students and members. It is important to gain a wide range of skills to augment those that come with the bookkeeping training by advancing personal study skills and self-confidence.
Although the ICB provide the examination body, they don’t teach courses themselves. Learning may be undertaken in many ways from classroom or home based study to online tutorials and fast-track courses.
The Institute of Certified Bookkeepers is the largest bookkeeping institute in the world. Woodgrove Tutorials are an award winning college and are a training provider who have been accredited by the ICB.
The Institute’s patron is His Royal Highness Prince Michael of Kent. The ICB was formed to create a series of qualifications that reflect the needs of businesses and individuals looking to enter this field. The aim of the ICB is to help promote professionalism to business, and the general public. The ICB professional qualification gives you the option to start up your own Bookkeeping Services Business or make a career in the Finance Division of a Business.
Membership of the ICB will provide you with free support and legal advice, which you will find invaluable when you first start out. With over 150,000 members worldwide the ICB is the largest and most respected bookkeeping institute in the world.
The Institute of Certified Book-keepers is the largest book-keeping institute in the world and as accredited ICB Training Providers we offer you full tuition toward their range of manual book-keeping examinations. Immediately you enrol the ICB Course(s) is sent by first class post. We provide full tutorial support throughout taking you through each Course on a ‘step by step’ basis. At the end of each Lesson there are assignments to be done and submitted to us by e mail for personalised feedback and this is given extremely promptly (usually the same day). You are actively encouraged to ask your personal Tutor anything at all by e mail/telephone.
- Level II Certificate in Bookkeeping (Manual + Computerised) is examined either at home (or at work) in the form of an online assessment.
- Level III Certificate in Bookkeeping and Accounting (Manual + Computerised) is examined both in the form of an online assessment taken at home (or at work) and an external exam to be taken at one of at one of the 5200 designated ICB examination Centres Worldwide.
- Level IV Certificate in Advanced Bookkeeping & Accounting (Manual + Computerised) is examined both in the form of an online assessment taken at home (or at work) and an external exam to be taken at one of at one of the 5200 designated ICB examination Centres Worldwide.
The benefits of ICB membership include:
- Professional letters after your name
- ICB sealed membership certificate
- Membership card
- Premium web access for technical help sheets & document templates
- Online job vacancy search
- Online bookkeepers forum
- Technical advice line for practical help with bookkeeping work
- Business rescue & insolvency advice line
- Legal, VAT & tax advice line
- Legislation updates and newsletter
- CV and job application advice
- Business startup guidance
- Local networking & training events
- CPD resources (continuing professional development)
- Priority tickets for the annual Bookkeepers Summit